Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Blood is thicker than water

#this should've been blogged about two months ago

So, not too long ago my aunt from New Zealand dropped by in Dubai. As it was on the weekend i could happily join them for a day of family reunion. How nice! And how typical for this kind of lifestyle. One lives here, one lives there, you meet in the middle - of the world. Hehe.

It was also the first time since November that i've talked German again. Obviously it was no big deal getting into it again. But during the day it happened to me three or four times that i caught myself saying a sentence in German and then realizing that i took an English one in my head and just translated it word-by-word. Thinking in English, weird. But i guess that was also when i was explaining my job for the first time in German. I don't know most of those technical/engineering terms in German, and i've just learned them them in English!

Oh well, too much text already. I'll give you some pics now.
The road to Dubai. Bloody cab driver tried to ripp me off.

My swiss unlce. Hehe. We get along well.
The classic "excuse me, could you take a picture of us, please?" shot.
And here's my aunt :-)
Le cool.
Gotta find that shot of the three of us wearing old-school sunglasses back in Murau, taken on their last visit to Europe.
Dubai tourism.
Swiss Burge ;-)
Happy face in the fake fort.
Pictures of people taking pictures. Hah, i was faster! Also take a look at the classic - read: non-digital - camera.
Asian lunch.
YAPS.
(yet another postcard shot)
Beautiful light. The way to the 360 bar at sunset.
Auntie&uncle in the infamous 360 bar. They liked it, too.

Family shot.
Mall bin.
Ski dubai. Indoor skiing. Top fakeness.
Fake St.Moritz. Real Swiss man.
Not related to the rest - this picture was taken in a Japanese "Alles 20 Schilling"-shop in Abu Dhabi. Just liked the weirdness there. And of course i bought some stuff. The chain is real Japanese, according to the Japan-loving friend of mine who brought me there.

So much for that, blogged long time after it happened. To explain the title, i'll tell you what a Bolivian friend of mine told us, just before he got into the car that took him to the airport to go back to Bolivia:
"Never forget, your family comes first!"
But then again, the last thing he said was "Maybe i'll never meet anyone of you again, so i'll see you in hell!". Good man.

Cheers.

1 comment:

Barbosa said...

Wordless! I would just love to visit Dubai...

And for the way it looks, wouldn't mind to live there for a while either ;)

Big Hug!!