Tuesday, April 01, 2008

1.April 2000

Today marks the last day of my "extranjeros" card validity. Which means that until today i am/was officially registered in my beloved city, Madrid. People following this blog might know that i was not living in Madrid since July 2003. And that i got this card three weeks before i left the city for good. It was necessary for staying in Madrid, legally, but they never asked me how long i was planning to stay and just gave me a five-years-valid card. So long, Spain. We'll see if i get back to living there. I would certainly like to.
Getting this card also meant that they scanned my fingerprint. Bastards. Well, at least it won't be oh-so-shocking when i travel to the states the next time. Mind you, that was in 2003, and they scanned my fingerprint for legally living in another EU country. Back then there were some discussions in Austrian media complaining that a right-wing party here wanted to get fingerprints from all immigrants. The Spanish did not discuss, just took my fingerprints. Well, well.

And no, this is not an April's fool joke. About the titel of this blog: i'm referring to this 'classic' Austrian movie. Science fiction, made in Austria in 1952. Supposed to be political satire about the still occupied Austria. With UFOs landing in Schönbrunn. Hilarious. Just bought the DVD.
"Die Sonne scheint auf alle gleich, warum nicht auch auf Ă–sterreich?"

No comments: