Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Bled

Last weekend i went to Slovenia again, visiting old and new friends. Hehe. It was wonderful, we stayed in a hut somewhere deep in the woods, supposedly on a plateau. My Slovenian friends told me that i was close to 'the most beautiful place in Slovenia' or at least the one that is the most-visited by tourists and i really should not leave without visiting it. And definitely i should not miss the famous 'Cremeschnitte' there - yes, they used the German word.
Anyways, that famous site is the city of Bled. It has a lake with an island in it and a castle. And is surrounded by mountains. I went there on sunday before going back home and i have to say they were right: it is a really, really beautiful place. Plus, i was so lucky to have more or less perfect weather. Blue sky and sunshine. Damn, i enjoyed. And since sharing is caring i have made some pictures for you (more can be found on my picture page, link on the right side of this blog).

Added: Oh, something i forgot: they have strange tracks in the lake. Looks like they build underwater train tracks into it - literally. There are at least five parallel tracks there, visible from above the water. We could not find out what purpose they might serve. Maybe guiding the rowing boats that bring tourists to the island. But quite weird. If anyone knows what those tracks are there for, please, enlighten me!

The mysterious duck in the foreground. The famous island in the background.

Walking up through the woods to the castle.

Me right next to the castle (castle being behind the camera).

On top of those mountains there is the border between Slovenia and Austria - thanks to Schengen it's not really a border anymore :-)

Old&new: a jet 'diving' into the castle.

Enjoying nature that took some time to grow - note the little mushrooms inside the green!

Fun in the sun =)

The castle as seen from the side of the lake.

Beautiful, huh?

I like that one, too.

Model of the city, lake, castle and surrounding mountains for blind people.

The island as seen from right next to the castle - we didn't pay the 7 Euros entree fee but still enjoyed the surrounding view, hehe. Speaking of Euros: it was my first time in Slovenia since they also have it. So convenient! Less than two months more and Slovakia will also join, hehe.

Me enjoying the famous 'Cremeschnitte'. And a hot chocolate. Mmmh.

Blogger seems to mess up the size of the pics a bit so i hope they're visible good enough. I know i had great vistas :-) Thanks to my Slovenian friends for a wonderful weekend, and:
See you next time!


2 comments:

xxx said...

Oooh! I envy you soo much! I wanna be there too. That hot cholocolate, and the Cremeschnitte, and the view to the lake...

shoo-bee-doo said...

I just googled cremeschnitte and saw your blog. I lived in Slovenia for 3 years and traveled 3 times / week to Bled so I could swim at the Park Hotel. Once I found the cremeschitte, I had a piece everytime I swam. It was delicious. I'm sure I sat exactly in that seat where you were sitting everytime also.

Great blog and I hope you are having a memorable year.

Regards,
Carol Chubiz