Wednesday, November 28, 2007

The Capital

So i've been to Beijing. As you know - maybe better than me - it is a
great city with a very long history and many interesting places to
visit. So you might expect an interesting story of my stay with lots
of nice pictures of what i've seen there.

Sorry, can't give you that. Business trip. I was there less than 24
hours and i didn't get to see anything interesting. Arrived late at
night, got to the hotel, some hours of sleep, then got up, Chinese
breakfast at the hotel, did another medical check, then lunch at the
hotel, and flight back. That's it. No time for nothing...
That was the third medical since i got to China. As the old man in
Johnny English says "they've taken some of my blood"... was for the
visa procedures, that's why i got to Beijing. Only came back to Shekou
on early monday morning, sleepless. Did my laundry of the week in
Zhanjiang and went to sleep. In the afternoon the office called me -
wake-up calls, you might say - and in the end it turned out they would
send me to Beijing in the evening. Three hours flight, i was really
sleepy. Managed to read about thirty pages of the book i'm currently
reading and slept for the rest of the time.
Curiously enough, the flight back took four hours. We arrived 45
minutes later than planned. Plane was smaller, maybe that's why the
flight would have been longer even according to schedule. I was less
sleepy on that flight so i managed to read more :-) oh yeah, and the
return flight made me feel packed like sardines in a can. Those seats
are designed for smaller people i guess. I fit in more or less with my
knees hardly touching the seat in front of me. But then the guy
sitting there decided to lean back his seat which also moved the whole
seat back. I had to spread my legs to fit in somehow, very
uncomfortable. And the guy in my back decided to bang his head against
my seat for the whole flight - don't ask me why, no idea.
When i got out of that plane my knees hurt, yee-haa...

So much for traveling, now i should be in Shekou for about a week.
Definitely got to return to Beijing sooner or later, on days off, to
really see it.

--
Cheers
CGA

No comments: